(To keep getting 8 Good Things, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts.)
8 Good Things is a curated bi-weekly newsletter of inspirational and informational articles, videos, and quotes that reflect my commitment to serving a greater good. Please let me know if there is something you would like to share with my readers. Content falls into three buckets. Sojourn Explorers is about travel and exploration. Picture Happiness is about conscious living. Sojourn is about storytelling and the entertainment industry.
Make sure to scroll all the way down to see my upcoming expeditions and programs.
1) Five Reasons Why Travel Is Good For Your Mental Health. I love reason number three: “It boosts happiness and satisfaction.” Though reason number five is good too: “It enhances your creativity.” Read more.
2) Did you know? A French Kiss is called an English Kiss in France, mmmmwwwaaaahhh!
3) 22 Years Ago, Steve Jobs Said 1 Thing Separates People Who Achieve From Those Who Only Dream. “I’ve never found anyone who said no or hung up the phone when I called. I just asked. And when people ask me, I try to be responsive, to pay that debt of gratitude back.” We are often too timid, too embarrassed to ask for help, including myself. We have been socialized to feel that there is shame in asking, when often people are more than happy to help. Listen to what Steve Jobs says about this.
4) Just One Thing: Hold Wants Lightly. “We can avoid some pain, suffering, and frustration if we change the way we relate to our desires.” This article is written by renowned psychologist Dr. Rick Hanson. I have taken classes from him, and he is one of my favorite teachers. Dr. Hanson offers great insight on how to not get overly caught up in our desires, and why this is important to the quality of our lives.
5) Wise words from Greek philosopher Heraclitus: “The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the full light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny… it is the light that guides your way.”
6) This is what happens to your brain and body when you check your smartphone before you go to bed. “Dr. Dan Siegel [UCLA School of Medicine] believes staring at screens before sleeping is much worse than initially thought.” Bottom line is that most adults need seven to nine hours of sleep at night to rest and repair the brain, so you can do things like make better decisions, enable your ability to pay attention, as well as support your memory. Advice, shut off your screen at least an hour before going to bed. Read more.
7) Our Favorite Pictures From Around The World This Month. The forty-one photos featured in this collection are stunning. The one above was shot in Hong Kong on a rainy day using a long exposure. See more.
8) Photos of Africa, taken from a flying lawn chair. This is a new TED talk. It got my attention. Photos, I love. Africa, I love. Flying lawn chair??? Struck me as weird and cool, so I watched the ten minute and forty-four-second talk. Check out George Steinmetz, known for his exploration photography.
“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible!’” ~ Audrey Hepburn
Photographic Safari and Mindfulness Workshops
Kenya, Inquire About Dates
Botswana, March 21st – March 28th, 2018
Breakfast with hippos floating around in the background, simply idyllic, and there is so much more to experience. This is a FANTASTIC adventure! I recently took a guest to Kenya, and it was indeed a transformative experience. If Africa is on your travel list, I urge to go and go full out. Great Plains Conservation’s Wild Studio was started by award-winning National Geographic filmmakers Beverly and Dereck Joubert. Whether you are a pro or an amateur, you will have the extraordinary experience of photographing lions, leopards, elephants, and buffalo. Best part is that there will always be a veteran wildlife photographer there to give you tips on getting great shots. Leave with an amazing portfolio of your wildlife adventure. Africa has long been my favorite place in the world, and I love sharing it with others. Please join the Wild Studio Team and me on a uniquely curated safari that will tap into your true inner-photographer.
Greek Islands, May 25th – June 2nd, 2018 |Memorial Day Weekend If you romanticize sailing and hiking the islands in the Aegean, then come along with me. Explore, meditate, do restorative yoga, eat great food, dance. Find your inner Zorba. Opa!
Happiness: The Art of Life Balance I am committed to helping those who sit in the overwhelm, continually feeling out of time, and always stressed. As a longtime TV producer, I have been there many times over and have spent the last eleven years studying what to do about it. My promise is to get you out of the crazy and into the happy. To do that, I have put together a program that can fit into anyone’s schedule and can be joined anytime. For a complimentary consultation, please contact me.