(To keep getting 8 Good Things, please add email@example.com to your email contacts.)
8 Good Things is a curated bi-weekly newsletter of inspirational and informational articles, videos, and quotes. It is part of my commitment to serving a greater good. Please let me know if there is something you would like to share with my readers. Content falls into three buckets. Sojourn Explorers is about travel and exploration. Picture Happiness is about conscious living. Sojourn is about photography, storytelling, and the entertainment industry.
Make sure to scroll all the way down to see my upcoming trips and programs.
1) Elon Musk Explains Why He Shot A Car Into Space. He liked the absurdity of it. “Silly fun things are important.” I love the way this man thinks! Madman. Visionary. And just a cool guy. Learn more.
2) Did you know? All the money that is tossed into Rome’s Trevi Fountain is collected each night and donated to multiple charities; one has been subsidizing a supermarket for the city’s needy. In case you are curious, the correct coin throwing technique is using the right hand to toss over the left shoulder.
4) Yale’s Most Popular Class Ever: Happiness. “Scientists didn’t realize…10 or so years ago, that our intuitions about what will make us happy, like winning the lottery and getting a good grade — are totally wrong.” I have been obsessed with what makes people happy for more than a decade, and I totally support this statement. First, Happiness, being happy, is a choice. Second, Happiness, real and lasting happiness, comes from within not from something external.
5) In the afterglow of Valentine’s Day: Why We Kiss. For starters, we are wired that way, though only forty-six contemporary cultures kiss romantically! And guess what else? Sixty-six percent of women will end a budding relationship based on a bad first kiss. For men, it is fifty-nine percent. I think how we kiss would be a good follow-up to why we kiss!
6) The Secret To Staying Happy Is Getting Whatever Exposure To Nature You Can Get. “A new study finds that even just seeing a tree or hearing a birdsong will up your state of mind.” I make it a point to get out and walk most days for precisely the reasons mentioned in this article. I find that a momentary change of scenery, fresh air to the brain, and movement in my body makes a big difference in both my productivity and feeling less stressed. Read more.
7) Dunkirk re-edited as a Silent Film – The Power of Visual Storytelling. As my friend who sent this video to me said “this is a classic 1920s, King Vidor-esque silent picture. They even got the music exactly right.” I am with you on this one, Mike. Thank you for sharing! This silent film is worth the eight-minute watch. The intro is with the director, Christopher Nolan.
8) The Best Business Book You’ll Read All Year Will Be A Novel. “Psychologists think fictional characters can teach you more about business and interpersonal relationships than you might think.” Interesting thought. One of my longtime favorite fictional characters is Gatsby, though I do not think he taught me much about business. The hazards of poor relationship choices, yes. Read more.
“Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
Photographic Safari and Mindfulness Workshops
Kenya | Botswana | Inquire About Dates
Breakfast with hippos floating around in the background, simply idyllic, and there is so much more to experience. This trip is a FANTASTIC adventure! I recently took a guest to Kenya, and it was indeed a transformative experience. If Africa is on your travel list, I urge to go and go full out. Great Plains Conservation’s Wild Studio was started by award-winning National Geographic filmmakers Beverly and Dereck Joubert. Whether you are a pro or an amateur, you will have the extraordinary experience of photographing lions, leopards, elephants, and buffalo. Best part is that there will always be a veteran wildlife photographer there to give you tips on getting great shots. Leave with an amazing portfolio of your wildlife adventure. Africa has long been my favorite place in the world, and I love sharing it with others. Please join the Wild Studio Team and me on a uniquely curated safari that will tap into your true inner-photographer.
Greek Islands, May 25th – June 2nd, 2018 |Memorial Day Weekend If you romanticize sailing and hiking the Greek Islands in the Aegean Sea, then come along with me. Explore, hike, swim or hang on the boat. Meditate. Do restorative yoga. Eat great food. And dance! Opa!!
Happiness: The Art of Life Balance I am committed to helping those who sit in the overwhelm, continually feeling out of time, and always stressed. As a longtime TV producer, I have been there many times over and have spent more than a decade studying what to do about it. Now, I work with professionals to help them get out of the crazy and into the happy — and yes, I still produce shows. To do that, I have put together a program that can fit into anyone’s schedule and can be joined anytime. For a complimentary consultation, please contact me.