(To keep getting 8 Good Things, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts.)
Here is this week’s 8 Good Things. This is my year-long weekly gift containing everything from articles to books to quotes to videos that are meant to be helpful, inspirational, aspirational, and informational. Please make sure to scroll all the way down to see our upcoming Sojourn Events!
1) Last weekend was the 113th Explorers Club Annual Dinner. This year it was on Ellis Island, which was poignant for many of us attending the evening. For me, I am the daughter of immigrants who came from Greece by way of France, England, Canada and eventually here. My mother was eight months pregnant with me. My brother and sister had already been born, each in a different country as my father was picking up PhD’s in organic chemistry and physics. My sister arrived in Paris. My brother, Oxford. I got Chicago; well, at least Greektown is there 😉
2) Save the Date!April 29th, we are doing our first Los Angeles fundraising hike. It is in support of Stand Up to Cancer, an organization that I have walked many miles for and will continue to do so. Lost my sister five years ago on March 28th to this disease; I am logging my miles in her memory. We plan to explore Malibu Creek State Park, specifically the old M*A*S*H set 😉 If you are around, please come join us. Only ask is that you please donate a minimum of $10 through our Sojourn Explorers’Crowdrise page. There are more details about the hike on our Meetup page. You can also email email@example.com.
3) What does it mean to a citizen of the world? Ask Hugh Evans. “The key to world peace is not nationalism; it’s viewing ourselves as citizens of the world, members of the human race.” Hugh is creating a ‘global citizens’ movement to galvanize positive universal action; one voice can make a difference. Watch this TED talk.
4) One of my favorite travel quotes: “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” ~ Saint Augustine, Christian Bishop and Theologian
5) 41 Truly Beautiful Film Quotes That Will Always Make You Smile And Cry. I love this one: “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ~ Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Read more.
6) Look at how millennials are rewriting career rules and changing the workforce; leadership lead with heart, prizing work-life balance and transparency. Impressive. Read more.
7) The answers to our problems are oftentimes just in front of us. Here are 20 Pieces of Life-Changing Advice You Can Learn From Your Daily Life. I prescribe to every one of them. Read more.
Los Angeles, April 1st. I am leading as half-day retreat. Make Peace, Not War: Negotiating Negative Thoughts, Emotions and Behavior, 10:00 am – 3:30 pm at the Huffington Center. Admission is my gift; donations are your gift. Details: PIcture Happiness Facebook Page. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Los Angeles, April 4th. I am leading an evening Prayer of the Heart Meditation session, 7:30-9 pm at the Huffington Center. These sessions are held every two weeks, when I am in LA. We start with a topic discussion, followed by a guided meditation. Admission is my gift; donations are your gift. This week’s topic: “Living a Grateful Life”. Details Picture Happiness Facebook Page
Bali, August 1st – 7th. I am doing a Happiness Retreat at the award-winning Floating Leaf. If you want more life balance and less stress, then this retreat is for you. Bring a Friend and you will each save $400 on your trip. Plus, get 90 days of post-retreat online support. Details: Picture Happiness.
Argentina, December 18th – January 6th.Mt. Aconcagua (22,841 ft.), the second highest mountain in the world. This climb is in support of the Green Beret Foundation, led by world-class climbing guides, Willie and Damien Benegas. “We could not be more proud to be working with this great organization, looking forward to sharing this upcoming Aconcagua trip with you all.” Details: Sojourn Explorers Aconcagua.